Traveling for Thanksgiving? Get this Vehicle Maintenance Done First
Holidays can be stressful enough without worrying about a vehicle breakdown along the way. Before you embark on your Thanksgiving travel plans from Jacksonville or Taylorville, make sure your Dodge vehicle is in top shape by scheduling service for a few simple maintenance tasks:
- Tire Rotation: Rotating your tires twice yearly ensures even wear and long life.
- Oil Change: Oil should be changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
- Battery Check: Check your battery’s charge and fluid levels to ensure it can handle the rigors of a road trip. If your battery completely dies out on the road, not even a jump start will be able to help you.
- Fluid Check: Brake, transmission, and windshield washer fluid should be clean and topped off.
- Brake Pads: Have the brake pads and rotors checked to make sure you have adequate stopping power.
- Air Filters: Not only do air filters clean the air in your vehicle’s cabin, but they also ensure your engine is getting plenty of fresh air for proper combustion.
- Belts: Engine belts keep the crankshaft, water pump, and other essential systems turning. A worn belt can damage your engine.
- Hoses: Worn, damaged hoses can leak, leaving essential fluids on the roadways instead of in your engine where they belong.
Additional Tips for a Successful Road Trip
Your car isn’t the only thing you need to take care of before you head out on the road from Chatham. Making sure you and your passengers have what they need will keep everyone happy and reduce conflict. Remember to check your vehicle for or pack the following:
- Entertainment: Tablets, games, books, and movies will make sure everyone has something to do on the road.
- Snacks: Nothing will ruin a road trip faster than hangry passengers.
- Music: Don’t assume that the local radio station is going to be playing anything you want to hear. Bring along CDs, iPod, or Spotify playlists.
- First Aid: Make sure you pack a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher just in case something happens while you’re traveling.
- Chargers: Your electronics will do you no good if they’re dead.
Schedule Service at Green Dodge
Following a few simple tips will make sure that your Thanksgiving road trip is the least stressful part of your holiday season. Schedule a service appointment today and let the experts at Green Dodge get your vehicle road ready. Contact us or stop by our service center in Springfield, IL to get started.