What Does SRT Mean?
SRT started as a stand-alone division under Fiat Chrysler Automobiles originally focused on designing and building the Dodge Viper. Standing for “Street and Racing Technology,” the division produced performance-optimized technology for Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler. Today, the SRT name is consolidated under Dodge, expanding its lineup of performance-oriented vehicles. With every model it offers, including the Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat, Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, and Dodge Durango SRT, Street and Racing Technology is all about big horsepower, line–promising performance, and pulse-pounding 0-to-60 times. Suffice it to say, if you love pure muscle performance, an SRT vehicle is more than capable.
Models in the Dodge SRT Lineup
For decades, many vehicles have carried the SRT name. What started simply as high-output motors has evolved into a high-performance subgroup of vehicles within the Dodge lineup. All SRT vehicles boast heart-pounding specs and power, making it hard to choose a favorite.
- Dodge Challenger SRT – legendary power is present in the Dodge Challenger SRT, with high-performance features and finishes unavailable in its RT counterpart.
- Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat – this midsize, 2-door coupe is ready to race with over 700 hp ripping through its Supercharged V8 engine, making the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat a force to be reckoned with.
- Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye – feel true power with the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye, staking its claim as the world’s most powerful production Grand Touring vehicle with its 6.2L supercharged HEMI engine.
- Dodge Challenger SRT Demon – looking for the fastest quarter-mile production car in the world? You’ve found it with the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, the most powerful muscle car ever.
- Dodge Charger SRT – constantly reestablishing its iconic muscle car status, the Dodge Charger SRT has the tried-and-true performance to take you where you want to go in no time flat.
- Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat – get best-in-class power with the Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat which creates up to 700 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque.
- Dodge Durango SRT – this 6.4L HEMI V8 engine delivers up to 475 hp, helping the Dodge Durango SRT tow up to 8,700 pounds.
These vehicles are designed to do more than just go fast (although the Demon is the fastest production car on the planet as of this writing), they feature performance optimized technology and design that give drivers better control, better handling, and better braking both on the track and on the street.
Dodge SRT History
Dodge was founded in 1914 and hit the ground running with aggressive, performance-driven vehicles. Each decade has brought new innovations and engineering accomplishments, but in 1989, the “Team Viper” crew devoted to designing the Viper hit on something big. The technology and performance that was born from that model kicked off the “Specialty Vehicle Engineering” division, which was renamed “Performance Vehicle Operations” (PVO) in 2002. Because all the PVO vehicles were already adopting the SRT acronym, it was eventually decided to officially rebrand the division as SRT in 2004. Today, SRT stands for the most powerful muscle cars in America, as any SRT car has the power and determination to dominate the road ahead.
Why Buy a Dodge SRT Model?
While the features and options available on any Dodge SRT will, of course, vary by model, drivers can look forward to performance-minded features in any SRT model they choose, including:
- HEMI Engines: Each SRT Trim is powered by a monstrous Supercharged HEMI®V8 engine. From the modest 475-hp and 470 lb-ft of torque producing Dodge Durango to the Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye that puts out a dominating 797-hp and 707-lb-ft of torque, each vehicle is focused on one thing: speed.
- Brembo Braking: The Dodge SRT sports high-performance Brembo calipers and slotted brakes to take the heat and give serious stopping power on both the track and Chatham streets.
- Aerodynamics: Years of thought and attention have gone into the SRT exterior design to make these vehicles more aerodynamic for better, smoother handling. Many SRT vehicles include spoilers, air induction hoods, wide-body styling, and other modifications designed to reduce drag and improve handling.
All put together, SRT is a powerhouse that gives drivers access to more of the speed, dominance, and style they look for in buying a muscle-bound performance car
Find your New SRT Model in Springfield
Get your foot on the accelerator of a Dodge SRT vehicle at Green Dodge and enjoy the kind of heart-stopping performance only a recognized leader with more than 50 years’ experience can provide. Have additional questions about performance vehicles? Our team would be happy to speak with you!
Learn More About Our Models
The RAM 1500 has been a longtime favorite with Chatham and Rochester truck shoppers, not just for the remarkable reliability but also for the performance! This is for many reasons, not least among them, towing capability. So how much can the 2022 RAM 1500 tow? The RAM 1500 towing capacity reaches up to a…
A truck’s towing capability, payload capacity, and horsepower all get plenty of press. But once you own the vehicle, where you spend your time driving is also a critical factor. That is why so many drivers are asking questions about the RAM 1500 passenger volume, as well as RAM 1500 interior options to make…
Winter has arrived in Springfield, and we all know that Illinois winters can bring a lot of snow and ice. What is the best pickup truck for snow plowing? At Green Dodge, we believe the best truck for snow plowing is the RAM 1500, and for good reason. This powerful pickup can probably do even more…