How to Jump Start a Car
If you’re having trouble turning over your engine, you’re probably going to need to jump start your car battery. These moments can be stressful, but the team at Green Dodge has your back. Follow this guide to quickly and easily get back to your drives around the Chatham region.
If your battery has reached the end of its life, visit the Green Dodge service center in Springfield to get the parts you need.
The Right Way to Jump Start a Car
If you need to jump start your car, you’ll have at least a couple of options. The first is to call a jump start car service like AAA. If you want to save money by doing it yourself, or you just don’t have time to wait for service, then it’s time to break out the jumper cables. Of course, you’ll also need to have another vehicle that can provide power to the cables. Once you have these on hand, you’re ready to start:
- Park the car with the good battery so it’s hood facing the vehicle with the dead battery. Once it’s in position, turn that vehicle’s engine off. Engage the parking breaks on both vehicles.
- Open the hoods of both vehicles and locate both batteries. One or both may be hidden under additional plastic hoods.
- Carefully distinguish between the positive and negative terminals and make sure they’re free of corrosion.
- One of the red clamps should be connected to the positive pole on the dead battery.
- Uncoil the cable and attach the other red clamp to the positive pole of the good battery.
- Then, attach the black clamp to the good battery’s negative pole.
- Finally, connect the last clamp to any unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Check to make sure that each clamp is secure.
- Fire up the engine of the vehicle with the good battery. Then, attempt to start the vehicle with the dead battery.
- If all went well, then your engine is now on, and you’re ready to hit the road.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
Of course, there’s always the possibility that your car won’t jump start when you reach the final stage in the process. This might be a sign of a deeper problem, but it isn’t always. Take these steps to find out if you need a new battery or schedule service right away:
- One possibility is that your starter is malfunctioning. In this event, you’ll only hear a clicking sound when you try to start the engine. You can get a replacement starter at Green Dodge.
- If you’re able to activate the vehicle’s lights and radio, but you can’t get the engine to start, there are several possible causes. You may need a new ignition switch, a new battery, a new starter, or a new fuse! If you encounter this problem, let the service team at Green Dodge investigate.
- Remember: if you turn your car off right away after you jump start your engine, the battery will die once again and you’ll be back right where you started. If you keep the car running for a little while, the alternator will recharge the battery automatically.
Turn to Green Dodge for Service
Whether you’re in need of major repairs, regular maintenance, or just want to know how you can best maintain your vehicle for the summer season, Green Dodge is here to help. Our service center is easy to reach from Decatur or Taylorville, so you can make us your first stop when you next run into trouble. Contact us today if you have any questions, or if you need more maintenance tips, like when to rotate your tires.
More From Our Service Department
If you’re having trouble turning over your engine, you’re probably going to need to jump start your car battery. These moments can be stressful, but the team at Green Dodge has your back. Follow this guide to quickly and easily get back to your drives around the Chatham region. If your battery has reached the end…
Whether you experience a flat tire or the treads have worn down too far and you want to put fresh tires on yourself, knowing how to change a tire is an important skill to have. This can save you from having to wait on the side of the road in Chatham or riding around on…
Parts The Mopar Vehicle Protection plan extends the coverage of your standard new vehicle warranty. In addition, perks like a car rental allowance and trip interruption protection provide more confidence on the hectic streets of Chatham. Learn more at Green Dodge. Is the Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan Right for Me? The Mopar Vehicle Protection program is…