How Much Towing Do I Need?
When Chatham and Rochester drivers stop by our showroom looking for a new Dodge SUV or a Ram 1500 pickup, there’s one thing most of them have in common: they want — or need — to tow. But does someone towing a boat need as much as someone towing a camper? Of course not. How much towing do you need?
- The driver who tows occasionally may be fine with a base-level Ram 1500 or Dodge SUV.
- If you’re aiming to tow a boat or haul a pair of 4x4s into — and out of — the wilderness, you may want to upgrade those models toward towing.
- If heavy-duty towing is on the agenda, you should bypass the standard trucks and go for the aptly-named heavy-duty pickups: the Ram 2500 or Ram 3500. They have diesel models that easily tow over 20,000 pounds.
The Ram 1500 is known as a light-duty truck compared to others, but compared to the competition, it’s the fiercest in its class.
- A Ram 1500 has best-in-class V8 towing of 12,750 pounds.
- When it comes to payload, you’ve got over 2,000 pounds of hauling power.
Whether you opt for the Big Horn, Lone Star, or Tradesman model, Decatur drivers will appreciate all that comes with it. This type of towing power allows you to move equipment or other vehicles with ease, making it great for those drivers who need to get some heavy lifting done at work or are looking for some weekend adventures.
If you believe you regularly need more than 10,000 pounds of towing capacity, your eyes should be set on the heavy-duty truck options: the Ram 2500 and Ram 3500.
- The Ram 2500 models raise the stakes, with the Tradesman towing up to 17,980 pounds and the SLT managing 17,600 pounds.
- Drivers who still need more will find up to 31,210 pounds of towing on the Ram 3500.
All this is a solid investment for those drivers who need to haul more than just a second vehicle around Springfield.
Choose Yours at Green Dodge
While Dodge SUVs like the Durango and Journey will have lower towing specs than the Ram 1500, they’re still built to get the job done and might be the perfect choice for the occasional tower. Contact Green Dodge today to learn more about towing with your Ram or Dodge, discover your towing accessories, and start yourself on the way to a new vehicle that meets your exact needs. While you’re here, you can discover additional information on the Ram 3500’s towing capabilities.